On a blizzard-blinded day in February 1923, Redemptorist Fr. John F Coghlan arrived by trans-Canada rail to begin his new assignment out West. His task: lay the groundwork for a new parish for the Redemptorist expansion in these parts.
With Archbishop Timothy Casey’s blessing, Fr Coghlan set about looking for a temporary place of worship. He rented a store-front space on West Broadway which was once a butcher’s shop, set up kitchen chairs to seat 85 and brought in 2 portable oil stoves for heating. In this humble setting, the first OLPH Parish Sunday Mass was celebrated on July 29 that year.